Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Feminism, my view

Without looking it up in a dictionary, to me a feminist work is one which draws attention to either specific strengths in female gender or the differences in the relationship between genders. After reading Virginia Woolf’s ‘A room of one’s own’ a work that I consider feminist came to mind. Although, not a 20th century author, Amelia Lanier seemed to me exactly who Virginia was describing in her example of what a female poet in Shakespeare’s day would have had to go through.

Aemilia Lanyer wrote a poem entitled Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum which was published in 1611. She sent the various sections to different women. Although the poem is an account of the crucifixion of Jesus, she interjects some stanzas that bring the reader to question the male dominated society of the time. She was one of the first women to publish a book of her own work in England.


Peter Vipulis

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read Amelia Lanier, but to write as a woman in 1611 in most cultures is and was an amazing act of courage. I will look for her poetry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete